Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A Different Road

I was asked recently what I was going to do about a certain very difficult situation.

I said, "Nothing. I'm going to wait on the Lord."

I wasn't being all religious or self-righteous. Nor was I hiding or running from the situation. I simply had nothing else. My only hope was and is in Jesus Christ.

My response was met with anger, bitterness, and mockery. I was asked in very bitter tones by someone very close to me, "What kind of God do you serve?"

You see the other person involved wanted an immediate solution.

I waited anyway. There was nothing else I could do. I've tried to fix things. I've tried to do things. But all of my doing and fixing ends up in a mess every time. This time I waited even in the face of mockery, though I was sorely tempted to respond in my own defense or to lash out.

There's an old sying, "When times get tough the tough get going." The truth is when times get tough the children of God run to Jesus.

I waited.

A week later Jesus spoke to my heart. Then I spoke to the situation.

It was good. It was broken. But it was soft. It was reassuring. It was right. It's what needed to be said, not what I wanted to say.


I'm coming to find more and more that following Jesus doesn't always go hand in hand with positive recognition from others. You don't always get an "Amen" and a pat on the back. You aren't always recognized for your patience and faith.

But I'm also coming to find more and more that following Jesus is the only right way. I'm finding more and more that following Jesus works.

Left to our own devices we very often stray and make things worse. But this time I'm going to walk a different road.

There are many very difficult challenges ahead. There is great temptation to take action, to say some things, to stand up for myself. But this time I'm going to walk a different road.

I believe Jesus. He has always told me the truth.

The funny thing is - no the really amazing thing is - that, even though I haven't always followed Him, He still speaks to me and I still know His voice.

And I know when I'm not hearing His voice. I'm learning to know the difference between what I'd like to hear, or do, or say and what Jesus is actually saying and doing. I'm learning the difference between well-intentioned advice and the voice of God.

I'm not going to follow the same descructive patterns of my past. No, this time I'm going to walk a different road.

I'm going to wait on the Lord. I'm going to walk a different road.

A Different Road