Thursday, August 11, 2011

Submission and Authority

I've never been there, but I occasionally catch a TV broadcast from the Southland Christian Church in Lexington, KY. And I usually like it a lot. Especially when Mike Breaux is doing the teaching.

Here's a clip of a recent study he did on Submission and Authority.

I caught the segment starting at about the 5:00 minute mark in the video one Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church. When he talked about the difference between the worldly view of authority and submission versus Christ's view I was blown away.

I had never put those exact thoughts together in my own mind. But I immediately recognized the aspect of Jesus that Mike is talking about here is the aspect of our Lord that truly changed my life.

Christ starts with love and acceptance. I promise you, there is no other way I could have been reached. I was so guilty. I was so filthy. I was so unable to make myself right. Honestly, I was near the point of giving up on Christianity because I just knew I could never be that good.

Then Jesus came. It was the voice of a radio preacher that plowed the ground and opened my heart at that moment. But then Jesus came and spoke to me.

"I know you," He said. "I have always known you. I know the very worst parts about you. I have always known them."

"I know you can't make yourself good. I know you stumble and fall many, many times over the same issues. I have always known that. I know the shame you hold in your heart. I know how you struggle. I knew it before you ever came to Me."

And He brought to my mind all that I am most ashamed of, all that I struggle with the most, my deepest, darkest me.  There I was, exposed, naked, vulnerable, and ashamed before the God of all Creation.  There was no defense.  There was no excuse, only guilt.  I cannot put my shame into words.

Then He said, "I love you anyway. I died on the cross for you anyway. This is why I have come for you; to set you free from all this sin and from all your guilt."

"I know the worst about you. I love you anyway."

That has become my anthem.

Thank You, Jesus !!!!! Thank You, precious Lord, for Your mercy, Your love, Your kindness, Your tenderness, Your acceptance !!!!!

Hallelujah !!!!!!!

\o/